[Fw_Os_Forum] Handle Data Base Statistics

Aaron.Pop at congatec.com Aaron.Pop at congatec.com
Mon May 23 13:25:49 EDT 2016

Hi Valerij,

I can only answer based on the systems that I have experienced, but I
would encourage you to write whatever application you are creating to
handle any number of possible handles and to not create an upper limit or
a lower limit because of the variety of UEFI implementations.

>>How many handles are installed on a typical system?
anywhere between 1 and a million

>>What the greatest (smallest) number of handles has been encountered on
UEFI systems?
the max I have seen is 500+

>>How many protocols are installed on a typical system?
implementation specific, each system, and its feature set cause a wide
variation in the number of different protocols.

>>What the greatest (smallest) number of protocols has been encountered on
UEFI systems?
no upper limit.  The more devices in the system, the more devices attached
to the system (SATA drives, USB drives, PCI cards, etc) will cause an
increase in the number of handles and the number of protocols.

>>How many, in average, protocols is installed on a handle?
>>What the greatest number of protocols per handle has been encountered on
a typical system?
too many possibilities, and too many variations in implementation to give
you a baseline.

>>How many agents, in average, is consuming a particular protocol
interface on a handle?
What the greatest number of agents per protocol per handle encountered?
There are too many variations to really give you answer here.  Generally
it depends on the drivers that are implemented in the system.

>>I am asking this not of the empty interest of course, those numbers
would be very useful for me in ensuring I am chosing right data
organization of my UEFI implemetation, which I'm working on. :^)

To give you a general answer, I would say somewhere between 50 handles to
1000 handles in a system, depending on segment (embedded systems having
less handles, and server systems having more)